Are you responsible for picking a workflow management app to help your team or department manage important processes more effectively?
Workflow automation software provides an array of features for streamlining, improving and measuring everyday business tasks. As a result, selecting a suite of automation apps that fit the unique needs of your business can lead to substantial cost and time savings.
This post tells you everything you need to know about workflow automation software. We’ll cover the main types of apps—with an emphasis on document management software as a core component of a typical technology stack—and review some of the top brands in the space.
Workflow Automation Software: A Brief Overview
Organizations use workflow automation software to design and execute step-by-step processes, which are completed with minimal human involvement.
Workflow automation apps tend to fall into one of the following categories:
- Marketing and sales – Marketing and sales apps deliver promotional materials (such as onboarding emails and invitations to trial a product), schedule social media posts, alert sales representatives to leads that are ready to buy, set sales appointments, and manage paid ad campaigns.
- Customer service – Customer service activities usually require large amounts of employee time. Automation apps streamline the process of assisting customers by organizing and prioritizing tickets, answering questions with chatbots, and creating appointments with members of the support team.
- Document management – Document workflow automation software is one of the most commonly used types of app and is used to unify document-related processes. Solutions enable organizations to automate all aspects of a typical document lifecycle, from drafting to delivery to client tracking.
- Finance and accounting – Accounting apps integrate with other platforms to collect financial data, send recurring invoices, generate reports, and alert applicable employees to issues, such as unpaid bills.
- Human resources – Automation within the human resources department covers tasks like asking employees to complete relevant documentation, tracking expenses, scheduling time off, and so on.
Many all-inclusive solutions also combine elements of functionality found in the categories listed above.
Workflow Automation and Document Management Software: Reviews
Picking document workflow automation software can be overwhelming. To help you find the best app for your business, we’ve reviewed five of the top providers in the space:
- PandaDoc – PandaDoc is best-known as a comprehensive document management solution. It’s one of the most highly rated solutions in the space. Features include a library of pre-written templates, an intuitive document editor, automated notifications and follow-up emails, secure cloud storage, e-signatures, and client tracking. PandaDoc also offers a free plan (users are never asked to upgrade) with unlimited document sending and signing, along with a range of premium packages for organizations of different sizes.
- Monday – Monday is a self-contained and multifunctional solution that provides automation tools for a wide range of processes, including project management, marketing, software development, sales, human resources and more. It is also one of the best-priced platforms in the space, with a long-term “forever free” plan and a range of paid subscriptions beginning at around $10 per user per month.
- Agiloft – Agiloft provides several document management and workflow automation solutions, most of which are geared towards larger companies (with five users and above) and are purchased as part of a single custom package. The software is browser-based, which contributes to a high degree of ease of use. You’ll need to get in touch with a sales representative to discuss pricing.
- Wrike – Wrike’s emphasis is on project management automation, with tailored functionality for marketing, product development and business operations teams (among others). Features include AI-driven automation, collaboration tools, visualization dashboards, approval notifications, and over four hundred integrations. Wrike also has a flexible set of subscriptions, with packages for individuals, businesses, and large enterprises. In addition, a long-term free plan is offered.
- Conga – Conga is a popular contract lifecycle management (CLM) and revenue-tracking solution. Features include quote generation (configure price and quote), workflow automation for use in conjunction with Salesforce and Excel, approval notifications, document generation, and advanced tracking. Contact the sales team to discuss pricing. A free demo is available.