In this article, we are going to share with you How to Enter or Exit iPhone DFU Mode on all types of iPhones.
Android can repair a damaged operating system by flashing it. Meanwhile, the iPhone can be repaired by entering DFU mode.
For iPhone users, of course, you already know or have heard of this DFU mode. Meanwhile, if you are someone who is new to using the iPhone and don’t know what DFU is, don’t worry.
Here I will explain about DFU mode and how to enter it on all iPhone series. If you’re curious, let’s just watch it.
Table of Contents
What is DFU Mode on iPhone?
Device Firmware Update or commonly known as DFU on the iPhone is a mode for solving operating system problems. Whether it’s the operating system on the iPhone, iPad or iPod.
DFU mode on this iPhone has several functions, such as:
- Jailbreaking (removing iPhone limitations )
- Unjailbreaking _
- Update expired iPhone beta firmware
- Solved the problem of being stuck on the Apple and iTunes logos
Because it has various functions, you must know this DFU mode. Especially for those of you who use the iPhone. So, I will discuss how to enter DFU mode in the next point.
The difference between DFU Mode and iOS Recovery
Before I share how to enter DFU mode, you should first know the difference between iOS Recovery.
Because even though the function is the same to repair the operating system, these two terms are different.
If iOS Recovery functions to repair the operating system. The method is enough to connect the iPhone to iTunes on the PC, then press the Recovery button.
But if you do recovery in this way, it usually doesn’t always work. Especially if your iPhone has been jailbroken or the beta OS has expired.
Meanwhile, DFU mode functions to fix operating system problems that cannot be done by iOS Recovery. For example, such as fixing OS problems due to jailbreaks and other causes.
How to Enter DFU Mode for iPhone 6 or Older
First, I will explain how to enter DFU mode for iPhone 6 or earlier first. So if you use this type of iPhone, you can follow the guide that I will give here.
How to enter DFU mode on iPhone 6 or other series is actually very easy. Because you only have to press a certain key combination.
Here’s how to enter DFU Mode for iPhone 6:
- Run the iTunes application on the computer.
- Then connect the iPhone to the computer using the Data Cable.
- Then please turn off the iPhone by pressing the Power button.
- After the iPhone turns off, just press the Home and Power buttons simultaneously.
- Wait for 10 seconds and immediately release the Power button. Make sure to keep holding down the Home button.
- Later a notification will appear ” Your Mac has detected an iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used .”
- Click OK and now it has successfully entered DFU Mode.
Apart from the iPhone 6, there are other series that can use this method. Here are some lists of iPhone series that can enter DFU mode using the method above:
- iPhone 6
- iPhone 6S
- iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone SE
- iPhone 5
- iPhone 5S
- And other old versions of the iPhone
How to Enter DFU Mode for iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
Furthermore, for those of you who use an iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus, the method is slightly different so you can enter DFU Mode.
Where on this iPhone series, you can enter DFU Mode by pressing the Power and Volume Down buttons.
To make it clearer, just pay attention to how to enter DFU mode on iPhone 7 and 7 Plus:
- Make sure you have iTunes running on the computer.
- Then connect the Data Cable on the iPhone to the computer.
- After that, please press the Power button and Volume Down simultaneously.
- Wait for 10 seconds, then release the Power button. But the Volume Down button still has to be pressed.
- Later a notification will appear ” iTunes has detected iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes ”.
- Click OK to continue entering DFU Mode.
How to Enter DFU Mode for iPhone 8 or Newer
Meanwhile, for those of you who use an iPhone 8 or later, the way to enter DFU mode is also different.
Because on this iPhone, you can enter DFU mode by pressing the Volume Up, Volume Down, and Power buttons.
Then to make it clearer, you can see the guide to enter DFU mode for iPhone 8 below:
- Run iTunes on the computer.
- Then attach the Data Cable to the iPhone and connect it to the computer.
- After that, press the Volume Up button for 2 seconds.
- Then release and press Volume Down + Power button simultaneously.
- Wait for the screen to go blank, then release the Power and Volume Down buttons.
- If so, press the Power + Volume Down button again and wait for 5 seconds.
- Furthermore, in iTunes a notification will appear “ iTunes has detected iPhone in recovery mode. You must restore this iPhone before it can be used with iTunes ”.
- Click OK to continue the process of entering DFU Mode.
There are several newer iPhone series that can use this method to enter DFU mode. Some of them, such as:
- iPhone 8
- iPhone 8Plus
- iPhone X
- iPhone 11
- iPhone 12
- iPhone 13
- And the latest version of the iPhone
How to Exit iPhone DFU Mode
Same as entering DFU mode. In order to get out of this DFU mode, you also have to do some special steps.
If you don’t know, you can immediately follow the way to exit DFU iPhone mode below:
- First press the Volume Up button first.
- Then release, then press the Volume Down button.
- Release again, then press and hold the Power button.
- Wait until the Apple logo appears.
- If it appears, please release the Power button and wait until the iPhone enters normal mode.
The Final Word
DFU or Device Firmware Update is a special mode on iPhone that works to fix operating system problems.
Starting from the problem of being stuck on the Apple or iTunes logo, installing a jailbreak, releasing it, and also updating expired beta firmware.
I have explained how to enter DFU mode in every iPhone series. But if you have problems or have questions above, don’t hesitate to ask via the comments column.
Hope it is useful.