Are you excited to know How to Check Windows 10 is Genuine or Not? Well, in this article, we will share with you how to know if your windows 10 is genuine or pirated.
The emergence of software is usually followed by the release of pirated versions of the software. This is no exception for Windows.
The issue of whether or not Windows is genuine has been a hot debate for a long time. Many people who buy a new computer think that Windows 10 is genuine, but it turns out to be a fake.
To avoid this incident from happening again and again, we need to know how to check whether our Windows 10 is original or pirated.
The original Windows 10 referred to here is Windows 10 which is activated using a windows 10 product key from Microsoft, regardless of whether or not the method of obtaining the product key is valid.
The pirated Windows 10 in question is Windows 10 which is activated using third-party activator software (an example is KMSPico).
To find out more about what is the difference between the two, and how to tell the difference, please refer to the following article.
Table of Contents
Difference between Genuine vs Pirated Windows 10
Before knowing how to check it, it would be better if we understand what is the difference between genuine and pirated Windows 10.
Thus, we can better understand the importance of checking whether the Windows 10 that we are using is genuine or not. Here are the differences:
- Security: Windows 10 pirated is Windows activated by the cracker. Thus, there is a chance that the cracker will insert malware or viruses into the pirated Windows 10. This could put your data at risk. Unlike the case with the original Windows 10. This Windows is officially released by Microsoft and thus can be guaranteed virus/malware-free.
- Update: Genuine Windows 10 will always get the latest updates from Microsoft, both security and feature updates. Some pirated Windows 10 may still be able to get updates, but there is a risk of being caught by Microsoft so they can’t get updates anymore. Due to the absence of updates, data security in pirated Windows is relatively less when compared to the original Windows 10.
- Support: If you are using genuine Windows 10, you are entitled to support from Microsoft or your computer manufacturer (depending on the type of Windows license you have). You can contact the support by phone or email. This is useful for example when you are having problems installing Windows or your Windows has an error. Meanwhile, pirated Windows 10 users do not have any access to support from Microsoft or the computer manufacturer.
- Notifications: If you’re using a pirated Windows 10, chances are you’ll get a warning notification in the lower right corner of the desktop that says “Activate Windows: Go to Settings to Activate Windows”. This happens when the pirated Windows is recognized as fake by Microsoft’s servers. Genuine Windows 10 users don’t have to worry about getting annoying notifications like this.
Note: The above notification also exists on Windows that have not been activated. It is necessary to distinguish between unactivated Windows and pirated Windows. Windows that have not been technically activated are original and will become the original “full version” Windows 10 is activated using the original product key. On the other hand, if it is activated using a third-party product key, then the Windows becomes a pirated Windows.
After knowing the various advantages of the original Windows 10, now is the time to find out whether your Windows 10 is original or not.
Checking Windows 10 Original or Pirated
Note: Method numbers 1 and 2 have a weakness where pirated Windows 10 sometimes also shows the same message. Methods 3 and 4 can show more definitively whether your Windows 10 is original / pirated. However, methods 1 and 2 are easier to do so we recommend that you try methods 1 and 2 first. If you are still not sure after seeing the results of methods 1 and 2, you can try methods 3 and 4
1. Check Windows 10 Original / Pirated with Settings
- Click Start, then select Settings
- Select the Update & Security menu
- On the left pane, click the Activation tab
- In the right pane, you can see the activation status of your Windows 10. If the Activation section contains the message Windows is activated with a digital license or Windows is activated with a digital license linked to your Microsoft account, it means that your Windows 10 is original and has been activated.
2. Checking Genuine Windows 10 / Not Through Control Panel
In addition to the above method, you can also check whether your Windows is genuine or not via the Control Panel.
You can open it via Control Panel > System & Security > System . However, there is another easier way, which is as follows
- Type This PC in the Search box. In the search results, this PC will appear. Right-click This PC then select Properties
- The System window will appear. In the Windows Activation section, you can see if your Windows has been activated or not. If the message reads “Windows is activated” and there is a Product ID under it, it means that your Windows 10 is genuine and has been activated
Tips: Apart from the above, you can also use the Windows hotkey + Pause Break on your keyboard to open the System. window
3. Checking Using Command Prompt
There are several commands in the Command Prompt that you can use to check whether your Windows 10 is original or pirated.
First of all, we need to open Command Prompt by typing cmd in the Search box, then Command Prompt will appear in the search results.
- Right-click the Command Prompt, then select Run as administrator
- Next, there are several commands that you can choose to check the authenticity of your Windows 10
- Type slmgr.vbs /xpr in Command Prompt then press Enter. When the User Account Control window appears, click Yes
- Windows Script Host will open. If the message that appears reads The machine is permanently activated, it means that your Windows 10 is original.
- However, if the message that appears reads Volume activation will expire (a certain date) it means that your Windows 10 is most likely pirated
Description: The slmgr.vbx /xpr command is used to indicate the expiration date of Windows products.
If your Windows 10 is original, your Windows 10 should never expire so the message that appears is The machine is permanently activated.
However, there are a few exceptions. When you use Windows 10 Volume License type (purchased in bulk by companies/organizations), your Windows 10 may show an expiration date.
To check the authenticity of the Windows 10 Volume License type, you can ask the administrator at your company/organization
- Type slmgr.vbs / dli in Command Prompt then press Enter. When the User Account Control window appears, click Yes
- The Windows Script Host window will open. If your Windows 10 is original, then you will see some of your Product Key appear as well as License Status: Licensed.
- However, if the message that appears contains the Volume activation expiration date, renewal interval, and the name of a third-party program (eg KMSPico), it is very likely that your Windows 10 is pirated.
Description: The slmgr.vbx /dli command was used to display detailed information regarding your Windows license.
Like the previous method, the original Windows 10 should not display the expiration date ( expiration date ).
If you see an expiration date, there are 2 possibilities. The first possibility is that your Windows 10 is pirated (most often).
The second possibility is that you are using a Volume License version of Windows 10 from your office/organization which does have an expiration date.
4. Check Windows 10 Genuine / Not With Run
In addition to the Command Prompt, you can also use Run to check whether your Windows 10 is original or pirated. How to do it is as follows
- Open Run how to press Windows key + R on your keyboard
- Type slmgr.vbs / dli in Run then press Enter
The Windows Script Host window will appear. Your Windows 10 includes the original if:
- The description does not include the name of the software maker other than Windows/Microsoft.
- When in License status is written Licensed
- Unwritten expiration date ( Expiration date ) any
How did it go after checking your Windows 10? Is it original or pirated?
After checking the authenticity of your Windows, we recommend that you check the following 2 things:
- Windows license type. Did you know that the original Windows has 3 types of licenses, namely OEM, retail, and volume licenses?
- Windows version: By knowing the version of Windows, you can get many benefits, one of which is knowing whether your Windows has received the latest major update.
That’s an easy way to check the authenticity of Windows 10 installed on a genuine or pirated PC or laptop computer.
Hopefully, with this article on how to see original or fake windows 10, you can find out whether the windows you have are genuine or pirated. Good luck.