Question from a reader: Can someone tell me: What is GWXUX, and how to get rid of pop-ups about it?
Several times every day I get a pop-up telling me that GWXUX has stopped working.
I have checked other questions in the community, but they all refer to Windows 10.
I don’t have Win 10, and I don’t even believe it’s released yet, so why am I getting this message?
When I click on the window icon in my taskbar, it opens to the Windows reservation offer. So far, everything seems to be going well.
I am using a laptop and I have Windows.
What is the GWXUX.Exe?
Before we move on to the fixes, let’s first find out what is?
Generally speaking, it is a Windows 10 executable file that is part of the automatic update.
It doesn’t really have much use except for showing popups.
The worst it can do is show you an error message when you try to open certain apps.
These messages may appear as follows:
- “Gwxux.exe has encountered a problem and needs to be closed. Sorry for the inconvenience “.
- “End of program – gwxux.exe. This program is not responding. “
- “GWXUX has stopped working. ”
” Gwxux.exe is not a valid Win32 application. “
Because of these annoying error messages, most of the users would simply disable GWXUX or remove it altogether. We have written a bunch of strategies to do this.
Solutions for GWXUX has Stopped Working Error
Before you apply these methods, be sure to create a system restore point in case something goes wrong.
Method 1: Run the Troubleshooter Function of Win Update.
- Open Control Panel and find Troubleshoot in the search bar at the top right, then click Troubleshoot.
- Then, in the left pane of the window, select Show All.
- Then, in the Troubleshoot computer problems list, select Win Update.
- Follow the steps to complete the troubleshooting process.
- You may or may not be asked to restart your computer. It all depends on what the Windows troubleshooter finds.
As mentioned above, he was incredibly controversial. It was essentially an adware Microsoft installed on your computer without you knowing.
It would advertise Win 10, then download the operating system “just in case” you wanted to upgrade.
If it made sense to upgrade while it was free, it would have been decided when and how to do it instead.
Method 2: Repair “GWXUX.exe has Stopped Working” by Uninstalling It
- Click Start and type Control Panel.
- Choose Control Panel and in the search bar at the top right,
- Type Windows Updates and then choose Show installed updates under Programs and Features.
- In the list of installed updates, locate KB3035583 and double-click to uninstall it.
- After uninstalling, your PC should restart.
I recommend setting the updates setting to manual to avoid receiving such updates.
Method 3: Edit the Registry to Repair the “GWXUX has Stopped Working” Error Message.
Editing the registry may seem difficult, but it is not. The registry is just a database of configuration settings that Windows uses to function properly.
If you wish, you can make a backup of the registry before making any changes by selecting File and Export.
You can then use the Import function if there is a problem.
- Type ” Regedit ” in the search box or in Cortana and select Registry Editor.
- Navigate to ” Computer \ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ SOFTWARE \ Policies \ Microsoft \ Gwx “.
- Click with the right button of the mouse on an empty space in the right pane and select New.
- Select the DWORD (32-bit) value and name it ” DisableGwx “.
- Give it a value of 1 to activate it.
- Close the registry editor and restart your computer.
- You must restart to apply the change you just made.
If for some reason the error still occurs after changing this setting, you can either delete the registry key or set it to 0 to disable it.
Method 4: Use the Task Scheduler
Another easy way to solve the problem is to use the task scheduler.
To do so, just follow the steps below:
- Go to the Start menu and search for Task Scheduler.
- Search for Microsoft then click on Windows.
- After that search for Setup and GWX.
- Find both tasks under GWX and disable them both.
- Restart the computer and check if the problem persists.
If you don’t know how to open the taskbar then you can check out the previous article where we have shared in detail how to open task manager in windows.
Method 5: Perform a System Restore
Another solution that a lot of people in the Microsoft community use is to perform a System Restore.
This is one of the last remedies that you should do, as it can disrupt your files.
To do this, just follow the following steps:
- Make a backup of your system files and other personal files.
- Go to the Start menu and run the rstrui program in the run window. Or you can do it by just pressing the Windows key and typing rstrui.
- Wait for System Restore to finish and restart your computer.
Method 6: Perform a Virus and Malware Scan
We strongly recommend that you perform a virus scan of your computer, in case the GWXUX issue is caused by a virus. Sometimes viruses hide in the form of .exe files.
Just follow the next steps:
- Open your antivirus ( 360 total security, Windows Defender, or Avast Antivirus …. or any other antivirus that you use on your machine).
- Perform a full scan of your computer.
- Check for viruses while the scan is in progress.
- If you see any viruses, remove them immediately.
- Perform the scan regularly so that you can check for viruses.
These are the possible solutions to correct the Gwxux problem. Do you know of any other solutions to fix GWXUX has stopped working errors in Windows?
If so, mention them below in the comments section!