Throughout this how-to guide, we’ll share some easy troubleshooting steps to fix the “Discord Installation Has Failed” error on Windows machines.
When Discord doesn’t want to download or install, it prevents you from chatting with the people you like most, or at least with whom you like to play.
Fortunately, there are several ways to deal with this situation when Discord installation failed.
These instructions work for Windows 7, 8.1, and 10, even though the screenshots were taken in Windows 10.
What are the Causes of the “Discord Installation Has Failed” Error?
1 – Corrupt or abundant local data:
If you reinstall it on your PC after deleting it before, you may have forgotten to delete the local files stored in your profile.
These local files usually conflict with Discord when you try to reinstall it.
2 – Antivirus software:
A software virus is known to block the installation of multiple applications on your computer as a false positive. Being off temporarily solves the problem.
3 – Microsoft .NET Framework:
Discord requires that the .NET framework be already installed on your computer. If the program is not present, you will probably receive this error message.
Before moving on to the solutions, make sure that you are logged in as an administrator on your computer.
You should also have an active and open internet connection, without a proxy or VPN.
Fixed: Discord Installation Has Failed 
If this installation failed – Discord error, you can try our recommended solutions below in any order and see if that helps fix the problem.
Run the program install and uninstall the troubleshooter. Delete Discord Local AppData, Install the latest version of the .NET Framework, perform a clean boot, and run the Discord installer. See the description of the specific process for each of the listed solutions.
Solution 1: Uninstall and Reinstall Discord
First of all uninstall Discord from your device:
- Access Task Manager on your Windows 10 system – press Ctrl + Alt + Del and select Task Manager.
- Under Procedures, you will find any entry that might have to do with Discord.
- Close these processes and close the task manager.
- Optional: Open Control Panel – right-click on the Windows Start logo and click on Control Panel; go to the Category tab in the Control Panel and click on Uninstall programs; find the disagreements and remove the program from your computer.
Delete the remaining file on your device:
- Press Win + R keyboard shortcuts.
- The Run field is displayed.
- In Run, type % appdata% and press Enter.
- Delete the % AppData% / Discord and % LocalAppData% / Discord folders .
- Restart your computer at the end.
- That’s all; you should now be able to easily reinstall Discord on your Windows 10 system.
If the installation process still does not work, try installing Discord manually: Go to the % LocalAppData% / Discord folder and run the update application as administrator; then run the Discord app as administrator and set the compatibility mode to Windows 8. Hope you can use Discord at the end without having any other problems.
Solution 2: Delete Local Files
It is possible that you have already uninstalled it in the past and forgot to remove it completely i.e. local files.
And if these files are present, it means that the installation of Discord will fail when you try to reinstall it.
So let’s delete the local data
- Press the Windows key and type ” Run ” in the search box
- The Execute input and command window will appear
- Type % AppData % in the Run function input box .
- Click with the right button of the mouse on the folder Discord and select Delete.
- Now install the latest version and restart your PC
Solution 3: Uninstall the Latest Windows Update
You may encounter the installation issue right after a Windows update, so try uninstalling the latest update packages. There is a good chance that this will solve the problem.
To uninstall a Windows update:
- Click the Start button, then click Settings.
- Under » Update and security «, click on » Win Update «.
- Click Show update history.
- Click Uninstall an update. A new window opens.
- In this window, find the most recent update. Make a right-click on it and select Uninstall.
Try to install now:
How to reinstall Discord on your PC?
To reinstall Discord on your device, follow these steps:
- Click on the installer link https://discordapp.com and try to run it.
- If you are unable to resolve the issue, you can completely reinstall your device.
- If you have a problem reinstalling, you should close the task manager and try again later.
Solution 4: Disable Antivirus Software
Antivirus software is known to block the installation processes of multiple applications (such as false positive).
There are many cases where, due to the virus definitions not being updated, the antivirus does not allow the execution of several actions and quarantines them.
So disabling antivirus temporarily may correct the problem. In the taskbar, right-click on the icon of your Antivirus, and in the parameters of the list choose to deactivate.
Solution 5: Update Outdated Apps
In some cases, it may happen that the problem is due to the use of obsolete applications. Then you have to update all the applications by following the steps described here:
- First, open the special context menu by pressing the Win + X keys on the keyboard and then press the Enter key.
- Otherwise, click on the Start button and right-click. Then select the Powershell (Admin) function.
- Type ” cmd ” in the Windows Powershell console and wait a few minutes.
- Then note the following commands in the cmd console window and press the ” Enter ” button on the keyboard: ” wuauclt.exe / updatenow”
- It is enough to execute the commands for at least an hour. Then check if any updates were found and/or installed successfully.
Solution 6: Install the Discord app in Safe Mode
If nothing has worked so far, it is possible that there is a third-party program or there is a driver that is conflicting with the installation process and thus causing the error.
In that case, you can try installing the Discord app in Safe Mode.
FAQ: Learn More About Discord Installation Issues
Why is my discord not updating?
Sometimes Discord cannot be updated because it requires administrator privileges to run. To resolve this issue, you need to install the update as administrator.
Open Task Manager and verify that no the running processes are Discord-related. If there are, stop them.
How do I download Discord to my computer?
Type Discord into a search engine and click on the download page from Discordapp.com. Or, you can just go to https://discordapp.com/download to start your To download process.
You will see a page with To download links for different computers, choose the one that’s right for you.
It is a game application that helps players communicate with each other. Usually, when Discord cannot be used, users choose to reinstall the program.
After reading this entire article and following our instructions, you should be able to use it without having any problems.