IMEI Tracker: We frequently read and hear about the phone’s IMEI number. Users want to know this code for various reasons, from unlocking a mobile, fixing malfunctions, or tracking a cell phone by IMEI.
In this guide you will find everything you need to know about the IMEI number, its importance, usefulness, and if you can really locate an Android phone by IMEI.
What is the IMEI Number?
The definition of IMEI is the International Mobile Equipment Identity. It is the number that identifies your phone and that you usually find on the label attached to the battery.
While the SIM code is linked to the line, the IMEI is the identification of the equipment. Because it is possible to track a cell phone by IMEI, the code is unique for each device.
Typically this code starts at “35” and is followed by 17 numbers. The last two digits are located after a sidebar (… / 02, for example).
Importance and Usefulness of IMEI
The IMEI code is the link between the mobile and the network, allowing you to perform basic functions such as making calls, sending SMS, connecting to the Internet, and more.
The IMEI is an essential piece of information to unlock a phone that is locked, in order to use the mobile with any phone company.
You will need to have this number on hand to make the operator change on your own or to unlock the device from your phone company’s website.
On the other hand, mobiles that have problems receiving and making calls, or text messages, maybe register a failure with their IMEI number.
All you have to do is perform a procedure to “repair” your IMEI number and the mobile will work normally.
Tracking by IMEI is also widely used in case of theft or loss. There are applications that claim to work as an IMEI tracker and promise to find the exact location of the phone.
Similarly, if you go to the police to track your stolen mobile phone, the first thing they will ask you for is your IMEI number.
How to Know What the IMEI of a Mobile Phone Is?
- You can find out what the IMEI number of your mobile is by pressing * # 06 # on the keyboard. Your device code will appear on the screen.
- Another way is by accessing Settings and then in the “About Phone” section.
- If you use an iPhone, then look for Settings> General> About, and there you will find this information.
- Another option is to call the operator that provides communication services to your mobile and request the IMEI number.
- There are pages that offer you an online service to discover the IMEI number of mobile. It is better to be careful with these kinds of offers because most of them do not deliver what they promise.
Change IMEI on Android Without Rooting the Mobile
If you have a problem with the IMEI of your phone, here we explain two methods to change the IMEI without root:
Dial * # 06 # to see if everything is okay with your current IMEI number. If the code appears on the screen, there is no problem.
But if you see an error message, then something is wrong with your current IMEI and you need to modify it.
- Type the following on the phone: * # * # 3646633 # * # *
- You will be redirected to the engineer menu
- Click on Connectivity and then on “CDS Information”
- Click on “Radio Information”. Then select Phone 1. Remember that if you have two SIM cards, you will see the options Phone 1 and Phone 2 on the screen, and you must repeat this procedure with the two cards.
- The letters “Alt +” will appear. Write an “E” at the end. It will look like this: “Alt + E”
- Press Alt + EGMR ”1,7,
- Between the two quotes write the new IMEI number
- Click on “Send at the command”
- Restart the phone to finish
Make a call to a friend to verify that your phone is working fine. That’s how easy you will have to change the IMEI without root.
With the QuickShortcutMaker application, you can modify the IMEI number of your cell phone in a few minutes.
It is an official application that you can download from the Google Play Store.
- Download the QuickShortcutMaker app on your mobile phone
- Click on the Activities tab
- Click on “Prize IMEI” and then on “Test”
- Type the IMEI ID. Click on accept
- Reboot the device
Is It Possible to Locate the Phone by IMEI?
There are two methods to locate the phone by IMEI. The first consists of using a mobile app to track mobile by IMEI or by indicating this code to the police so that they can search for your device using technology not available to the common citizen.
If you want to track your Android mobile or search for an iPhone by IMEI using a mobile application, you should know that there is no guarantee that you can actually recover the device.
In the Play Store and App Store, you will find various apps that promise to locate your mobile by IMEI, but few people have found the phone in this way.
Before downloading an app to search the mobile by IMEI, we recommend that you read the opinions of the users and download an application with a good reputation.
Police Can Find Your Phone by IMEI
Losing your mobile due to theft or loss creates a very uncomfortable feeling. Luckily, there is a possibility of recovering your phone thanks to the IMEI code and the intervention of the police.
With a court order, your phone company can track your mobile using the GPS data and IMEI number of your mobile device. That is why it is important to know this code since the authorities will ask you to start the search.
This is the most effective method to search for a phone by IMEI. But we hope you never go through the bitter time of misplacing your phone.
Without the help of the police, there is no guarantee that you can recover your lost mobile using your IMEI ID.
But do not worry, since there are other methods to have the cell phone with you again and here we explain them step by step.
App to Track the Mobile Phone by IMEI
One of the most used apps for this purpose is IMEI Tracker. Repeat the following steps to know your IMEI with this application:
- Enter your mobile and download the IMEI Tracker app
- The first thing the application will do is ask you for the phone numbers of people you trust for security reasons. If your phone is lost or stolen, the app will send alert messages to your contacts when they make a SIM card change
- Start the phone search from the app. In a few seconds, you will know the exact location of the mobile
- Another method is to send an SMS to your lost mobile or the words “lost phone” (all through the application), and thus you will know the location of the device
How to Locate Your Phone with Google Maps
The Google Maps application can be your best ally to recover your lost phone. Follow these simple steps:
- Go to the computer, open the browser and click on this link to enable the location history of your Google account
- Enter the Google Maps application on the phone
- Click on Settings
- Follow Google Location Settings
- Now enable Google Location History
Using the same Google account affiliated with your mobile you can see the exact location of the device from the computer.
Obviously, you will need to have the phone’s GPS activated, otherwise you will only be able to see the last recorded location of your mobile.
Applications to Track the Mobile
The easiest and most popular method to track your phone is through a mobile app. These apps use the device’s GPS to detect its location in real-time.
In the event that the mobile has been stolen and the GPS deactivated, you will only be able to know the last place where your device issued its location.
We recommend two apps to track your phone:
The FamiSafe application has become very popular with parents who want to have control over their children via cell phone GPS.
In addition to knowing the location of the mobile, the app also allows you to see the last web pages visited from the mobile you want to find.
- Install the FamiSafe app on your mobile and on another trusted phone. It can be a second device you have or the cell phone of a relative
- Create an account on the platform
- Select the cell phone you want to monitor
- If you lose your device, you just have to open the app from the other phone and click on Location on the left panel. On the screen, you will see the exact place where the lost equipment is located
The Android Lost application allows you to use SMS commands to know the exact location of the phone.
One of its functions is to play a sound at high volume that helps you locate the phone, lock the mobile, and even delete all the information you have saved.
You can take photos remotely with both cameras on your phone to find out the identity of the thief and send them a full-screen message.
Cerberus has become one of the most popular apps for locating lost mobile devices using GPS.
You can take photos with both mobile cameras remotely, delete all the stored information, and also activate the microphone recording to hear the voice of the person who has stolen your cell phone.
Find out the IMEI number of your mobile and write it down as it will be very useful information in different situations.
However, this code will not be the key if you want to find a lost mobile on your own.
Read user reviews before downloading an app to track your phone by IMEI, because most of these apps don’t deliver what they promise.
Mainly, the user takes advantage of the IMEI Tracker number to unlock a cell phone and change the telephone company.